Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Short Opinions - 1/13/15

Short Opinions is a section that will feature quick thoughts on games that I have recently played that I hadn't scheduled for review.  These may be games that clutter my backlog or simply games I didn't feel like writing a full review for.  There is no set schedule for these and they will be posted whenever I see fit.  May contain light spoilers.

Bioshock Infinite Burial At SeaI am a huge fan of the Bioshock series and Bioshock Infinite was one of my top games of 2013. So, I was extremely disappointed when I couldn't get into Infinite's two DLC episodes, Burial At Sea. In my opinion, Burial At Sea had an amazing story. Mixing the stories of both the original Bioshock and Infinite was pulled off very well and getting to see Rapture as a fully functioning city was the highlight of the whole experience. Also, where Burial At Sea sits in the Bioshock lore is very interesting and takes a turn towards the end that is unexpected, yet ties everything together smartly. Where everything falls apart for me is in the gameplay. For nearly the entirety of both episodes, I felt I was just backtracking back and forth through the world, pulling off meaningless tasks that were just keeping me from getting to the main story. Burial At Sea also tries to mix the combat of both games which was something I felt made the whole experience feel sloppy and unnecessarily hard. Mixing Bioshock's emphasis on limited supplies with Infinite's emphasis on fast-paced combat and increase in enemies felt one-sided to me. I often felt that not only was I under resourced, but I was unfairly resourced, leaving some of the objectives nearly impossible with what was given to me. I know I am in the minority here and I'm sure plenty of people had little to no issues with it, but I just couldn't get into this game. For the first time in a long time, I simply just stopped playing a game, and opted to watch the ending on YouTube instead.

The Last Of Us Remastered - I have a long opinion for this one that you can read right here.

Sleeping Dogs Definitive EditionDespite the fact that I roll my eyes at every rerelease and definitive edition that now plagues the market, I couldn't help but grab Sleeping Dogs Definitive Edition. I remember playing Sleeping Dogs when it first came out and loving the arcade feel of the game and the gritty story of the Hong Kong mob world. I was very pleased to find out that my memory had served me right and Sleeping Dogs is still just as fun now as it was three years ago. The focus on melee-combat, which works extremely well, is one of the main draws of this game. Attacking, blocking, and countering is extremely responsive and is the perfect level of challenge, allowing you to take down large groups of enemies without feeling unfairly powerful or vice versa. The upgrade to Playstation 4 has also done a great deal for the overall presentation of the game. Character models and animations don't look much better than they did on Playstation 3, but the world of Hong Kong has received a massive face lift for the port. Puddles collect on streets when it rains, buildings and districts all have a more distinct feel to them, and many other features have been included to make the world more believable. If you missed Sleeping Dogs the first time, the inclusion of the full game and all the DLC in this new package really gives you no excuse to sleep on it for a second time.

Watch Dogs – I really wish I would have had a chance to play this game when it first came out. Anything that makes a bold statement such as Watch Dogs' “true next-gen experience” is more than enough to perk up anyone's curiosity. But playing Watch Dogs seven months after its initial release date didn't allow me to play the game while comparing it to the immense hype train it rode in on, for better or for worse. Personally, I really enjoyed the game and I thought it played well. Chicago was beautiful and interesting to explore, shooting was solid, and I enjoyed all the hacking options, even if there were far fewer than the trailers might have led us to believe. Watch Dogs had a story that did fall very flat though. I couldn't bring myself to care about Aiden Pearce or any of his struggles. But the voice acting and animations were both done very well, never leaving me bored during one of the frequent cutscenes. One of the main draw backs of the game would have to be its repetition. Throughout its lengthy campaign, the game slips into monotony with its several “tail him and spy on this missions.” But, when Watch Dogs just let players run free around Chicago, causing mayhem and hacking away at the city, the game truly is a delight. I can only assume that a sequel is already in development by Ubisoft. One that I hope will expand upon all of Watch Dogs' strengths and mechanics as well as fully realizing the ambitions this game set out to achieve.

No comments:

Post a Comment