Sunday, January 18, 2015

Short Opinions - The Wolf Among Us: Episode Two

Short Opinions is a section that will feature quick thoughts on games that I have recently played that I hadn't scheduled for review. These may be games that clutter my backlog or simply games I didn't feel like writing a full review for. There is no set schedule for these and they will be posted whenever I see fit. May contain light spoilers.

I've decided to break up my opinions on The Wolf Among Us based on each episode.  So rather than posting one accumulative article once I have completed all five episodes, I will post one on each individual episode as I complete them. Episode One.

WARNING: Spoilers. Spoilers. Spoilers.


Episode Two: “Smoke & Mirrors” - My playthrough of The Wolf Among Us' second episode saw the violence take a back seat to both curiosity and empathy. After the interrogation at the beginning of the episode, I found myself completely immersed in finding out just what was going on in Fabletown. My conversation with the Woodsman not only peaked my curiosity for the story, but also showed me that I prefer the outcomes (so far) of taking a non-violent approach. I found by attempting to be rational with characters, even the ones I had hated an episode prior, I was able to get more answers out of them and clues became more accessible. But, there was also a more human element making itself apparent to me that made me pump the breaks, aside from just hoping to coax people into answers.

In episode one, I was unable to save Faith's husband, Prince Lawrence.  Other than finding a note he left to her and hearing him whisper her name right before he passed away, I never heard whether or not he spoke of how he felt about her death. In episode two, things were different for me. When I returned to the Trip Trap, a sight of much bloodshed for me during the first episode, after learning about Lily's death, I couldn't bring myself to be forceful with her surviving sister, Holly. I remembered how her and Grendel had spoke about Lily and their concern over her disappearance. Knowing I had to deliver the news of the murder to her sister, I didn't dare be confrontational with anyone in the bar.  I chose to try to ease Holly through the news and create a stable environment for her.  In return, I was satisfied with my actions as well as receiving clues from Holly on what and/or who might have caused her sister's death.

The Wolf Among Us is written very well, and it is amazing to notice the extreme thought put into each choice to make them feel worthwhile. In episode one, when I let a character get the best of me and I chose violence as a solution, I regretted it and wanted a do over. But, in episode two, when I did my best to keep a level head on my shoulders, I walked away satisfied with what I had done and happy I had chosen the approach I did.

Yesterday, when I posted my opinions about episode one, I speculated that once more of this mystery was unveiled I would be much more interested in the story. I was right and I can hardly wait to re-immerse myself in the world of The Wolf Among Us in episode three. For more Short Opinions and more of The Wolf Among Us, stay locked on PBG.

No comments:

Post a Comment