Monday, January 19, 2015

Short Opinions - The Wolf Among Us: Episode Three

Short Opinions is a section that will feature quick thoughts on games that I have recently played that I hadn't scheduled for review. These may be games that clutter my backlog or simply games I didn't feel like writing a full review for. There is no set schedule for these and they will be posted whenever I see fit. May contain light spoilers.

I've decided to break up my opinions on The Wolf Among Us based on each episode.  So rather than posting one accumulative article once I have completed all five episodes, I will post one on each individual episode as I complete them. Episode One. Episode Two.


WARNING: Spoilers. Spoilers. Spoilers.

Episode Three: “A Crooked Mile” - Three episodes and six or so hours deep within my adventure through Fabletown has taught me an important lesson, The Wolf Among Us is not afraid to strip everything away from you and expose your vulnerability when you feel the safest. Episode One taught me of the world and helped me discover what role I thought I wanted to play and Episode Two showed me consequence and the benefits of trying to think before reacting. But, Episode Three was different. It deceptively allowed me to fall into a rhythm and think I was getting close to figuring out the game's mysteries before it showed me just how wrong I was. “A Crooked Mile” didn't hesitate to expose my naivety and punish me for it and maybe I've learned something from that.

I was proud of my choices in this episode. I had investigated each area thoroughly and was in a rhythm of looking around a room, convincing any opposition to help me, and then heading off towards my next lead. I thought I was well on my way to finding out the mystery of these murders and even though Ichabod Crane ended up not being the killer, I still found him embezzling money from Fabletown to be despicable and I was proud that he was being hauled off.  But, by the end of the episode, when Bigby stepped foot into that ally outside the Pudding & Pie, I was naively comfortable and vastly unprepared. I believed I was doing something so morally sound that when the Tweedle Twin's gunfire ultimately triggered Bigby's full transformation, I didn't think twice about assaulting them and tearing the esophagus from one of their necks, because they were in the way of what I had worked for. It was only when Blood Mary had put a silver bullet in Bigby that I realized what the game had done to me.

Throughout the entire episode, I had been calm. I hadn't hit anyone, even Crane, when given the option. But, when something stood in the way of the choices I had made, that I was so proud of because they were the right choices, I immediately resorted to violence. The Wolf Among Us played on the fact that I had become comfortable and prideful in my choices, and therefore I had become vulnerable. When all the viscera lay on the pavement and the very man I was so proud to have caught was taken away from me, I realized that Telltale creates these choices not only to heighten suspense, but to help us get an insight into our own personalities. I realized I had been selfish. I did not make every choice I thought was right instinctively. I thought about which decision would make me look like the good guy, and ultimately give me the ending I wanted. Yet, when something was in my way, I didn't think twice about spilling blood. How much something like this may carry over into the real world is unique to each player, but it definitely did make me think about decisions I have made recently and whether or not I did them for the right reasons or for the aesthetic appeals of their outcomes.

The more I play through The Wolf Among Us, the more thoughts it puts into my head. So many different aspects of the game have unique characteristics that make you really think, as well as admire the world you're given. With the completion of each episode, waiting to play the next gets harder and keeping my hands typing this instead of booting up Episode Four is a real task.  For more of The Wolf Among Us and more Short Opinions, keep it locked to PBG.

No comments:

Post a Comment