Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Short Opinions - The Wolf Among Us: Episode Four

Short Opinions is a section that will feature quick thoughts on games that I have recently played that I hadn't scheduled for review. These may be games that clutter my backlog or simply games I didn't feel like writing a full review for. There is no set schedule for these and they will be posted whenever I see fit. May contain light spoilers.

I've decided to break up my opinions on The Wolf Among Us based on each episode.  So rather than posting one accumulative article once I have completed all five episodes, I will post one on each individual episode as I complete them. Episode One. Episode Two. Episode Three.

WARNING: Spoilers. Spoilers. Spoilers.

Episode Four: “In Sheep's Clothing” - It seems the further you walk in Fabletown, the more layers you notice. From the spending habits of the upper echelon and the tribulations of those who live below the poverty line, everyone has their own story and everyone has their own motives. By the end of the penultimate episode, The Wolf Among Us had packed on some conflicted feelings about what really is going on in Fabletown and complicates what once was simply a murder mystery. A thin line stretches through Fabletown and where each character stands is not always where you originally thought.

Mr. Toad and Grendel made comments in the first episode that have stuck with me through each subsequent one. When Bigby hounds Toad about him not being disguised by Glamours, Toad asks him to look the other way as he couldn't afford the approved Glamours created by the witches on the Thirteenth Floor.  Also, Grendel criticizes Bigby and those working in the Woodland building for not caring about the Fables living below the poverty line. There is an uneven balance in Fabletown where those who can afford to be a priority, are a priority.  But, those who can't afford to be a priority are left to fend for themselves in an often corrupt and violent world. 

This whole game has you obsessively hunting a mysterious killer.  While you do so, you learn of a corrupted government and a black market that has been utilizing the slave labor of Fables to produce the unapproved magic that created the Glamours found on Lily after her death. All of this eventually points back to The Crooked Man.  In the moments leading up to your confrontation with him, if you take the time to listen to what Tiny Tim has to say, you realize that this entire city is a double-edged sword. According to Tiny Tim, the Fables who have been forgotten by the powers that be need The Crooked Man. He doesn't see them as useless. He sees them as in need of his help.

Fabletown is built on a slant. Glamours are necessary to live in the mundy world, but too expensive for the poor to buy. If the poor can't afford the Glamours, they are sent to the Farm. Out of sight and out of mind. All of The Crooked Man's motives have not been made clear as of Episode Four, but if his black market magic is made to help the poor simply survive in the mundy world, it's hard to say that he is intrinsically evil. Ichabod Crane didn't start the game as a crook, so who's to say it can't work the other way. Yet, I've spent four episodes attempting to solve two murders that I can only speculate were caused in part by him. Like I said, it's a double-edged sword and I'm not sure where I sit anymore. The further you go along in Fabletown, the closer you think you are getting to a solution. Instead, more layers are piled on and more questions arise.

I can only hope that Episode Five will finally start producing answers for me. My mind is running wild and I'm not sure where I think each character, or suspect, will end up in this twisting tale. I have more thoughts on the game as a whole and one more episode to still work through before I can make any final thoughts.  So, for more of The Wolf Among Us and more Short Opinions, stay here at PBG.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment