Friday, February 6, 2015

Dying Light - Second Thoughts

The more I think about Dying Light, the more impressed I am with the end product of the game. I was never excited for Dying Light. If anything, I rolled my eyes at the thought of having to play another game based upon a zombie apocalypse. I think Techland was well aware of the genre fatigue they were entering, and instead of making a game very similar to that of their previous Dead Island games, decided to breathe fresh air into a stale genre.

The first noticeable thing about Dying Light is that it is a solid game that works. In the past few months many games have come out broken or flawed, in need of hefty patches before being playable. Dying Light burst out of the gate with all its mechanics intact and ready to roll. I've seen people report bugs and glitches, but in my over twenty hours with the game, I have yet to encounter any major problems.

To me, Dying Light was a unique game. The dichotomy of day and night in the game is striking. When the sun shines over Harran, fear is the last feeling I would use to describe Dying Light. Even with the hundreds of zombies that hunt you, you don't always feel underpowered during the day and escape is never all that difficult. But, when the game transitions to night, the word fear is all I have to describe the game. Dying Light purposefully and deliberately strips you of the upper-hand with far quicker and more powerful foes and running seems the best and only option. This complete change in mechanics forces players be on their toes the second that sun looks like it is dipping below the horizon. Dying Light never lets you fully fall into a rhythm before it changes the rules on you completely and I love that. I was never bored with the game, because my safety was always fleeting and time was always of the essence.

Four days ago, it was tweeted from the official Dying Light Twitter that “over 1,200,000 unique players” had played that game. This impressive number and the ambiguous ending of the game gives reason to believe that we could see a Dying Light Two within the next couple years. I believe that if the game stays on the same path and elaborates on all the things that made Dying Light great and unique, a second iteration of this apocalypse could be nothing short of spectacular. 

 Source : Geekspective

No comments:

Post a Comment